What is STEAM and how is Woodcrest using it to better the learning experience.
STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, art and math. It may seem a bit lofty to be talking about all of this real-world stuff, but young children are amazing at building, innovating, dreaming, and using mathematical principals while they explore the many activities and toys in the classroom.
- Science encourages investigation and answering questions, often involving experimentation.
- Technology refers to using simple tools like crayons and rulers, as well as more complex ones like microscopes and computers.
- Engineering refers to recognizing problems and testing solutions.
- Arts encourage creativity and allow children to illustrate concepts they are learning.
- Mathematics deals with numbers, but also patterns, shapes, organizational skills and much more.